Thursday, July 18, 2013

Reaching the Destination




If you can't make your pie in the same day that you picked your Blackberries....keep them in a cool dry place.  They will be fine for a couple of days and do better than in the fridge.  Don't wash them either, until you are ready to eat them.

I just add some fresh water to the container and kind of stir them with my hand.  The sticks and leaves just kind of float to the top.  Then....into the colander they go to drain.
Here is the filling recipe:
You will see the word "about"  because I am not hardline about anything :)
Feel free to substitute your favorite ingredients!

About 6 cups freshly washed Blackberries
About 1 cup white sugar ( I prefer brown, but white makes better juice)
Gently mix these together and let sit for about 10 min. while you assemble the Pie Crust ingredients.
You can preheat your oven at any time now to about 425 degrees.

The Pie Crust has its own story.......which you will now get to read:
     Many, many years ago I used to cry when I tried to make a pie crust because I could not get it to roll out well and it would fall apart before I got it into the plate.  Makes you NOT want to make pies.  However, I persevered and became a competent pie maker.  Later I discovered that I have an allergy to soy...which seems to be in everything.  Shortening is soy.  I'm not big on lard....so what to do?  I asked my mom and she had a simple oil pie dough recipe that you "mash" into the pan....really easy.
     I had changed the oil that I was using and started using Sunflower Oil.  If you like sunflower nuts, this oil gives a wonderful flavor to your pie crust.  I rearranged some of the other ingredients and here is the recipe for the crust:

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup old fashioned oats (oatmeal)
1  tablespoon dark brown sugar (packed and heaping)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sunflower oil
3 Tablespoons milk

Mix it all together with a small spoon...put into your 10" pie plate and press the dough on the bottom and up the sides to make the crust.

Now to finish the filling:
Stir the Blackberries, they should be juicy by now.
Add 3 Tablespoons of Whole Wheat Flour one at a time and gently stir it in.  This will thicken up the berries, so all the juice doesn't leak out into the pie plate.

Spoon the berries into the crust and as soon as your oven is up to temp., pop it in for about 40 minutes or until it smells and looks like it is ready to come out!
We had some peach ice cream....it was delicious!
Bon Appetite!
Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment