Friday, October 11, 2013

A FEW AUTUMN PLEASURES

The season that I love the most!  When the dry, hot, late summer days are leaving and the cooler, damper beginnings of autumn are here.
 
I love to heat up the chilly early hours with the oven and something wonderful baking in it.  The Sweet Potatoes are just about ready to dig up here in Tennessee, so I share this wonderful recipe that will have your mouth watering!
These are the beautiful plants that you can start from a sweet potato in your own home.  I remembered doing this in school as a child.  Have any of you done it?
After the vines were growing well, I broke them off or cut the potato and buried them into the ground to root.  Be careful not to do this too early, your sweet potatoes do not like it too chilly!  Not only will you have Sweet Potatoes to eat, but beautiful vines with gorgeous flowers (you may also eat the flowers and leaves in a salad...they are part of the morning glory family, NOT nightshade like white potatoes!)
Now, if you so desire...just shop at your local store and pick some up from the people that grow Sweets for a living!

          Here is a preview of what you will be enjoying in the morning!

                               SPICY SWEET POTATO MUFFINS

Your sweets have to be cooked and mashed before you add them to the rest of the ingredients.  I usually use about 3 to 4 good sized taters and simmer them in a pot covering the potatoes with water.  I simmer them for about 20 to 30 min., then gently poke them with a meat fork.  You want them soft, but not falling apart.  When done, remove them from the water and allow them to cool just long enuff so you don't burn yourself while holding them to peel.  Cook first and the peels almost fall off!  Sometimes I will cook the sweets a day ahead...just one less thing to do in the morning :)!

Ingredients:
1.     2 cups whole wheat flour
2.     1/2 cup packed brown sugar (dark brown is best)
3.     1 Tablespoon baking powder
4.     1/2 teaspoon baking soda
5.     2 teaspoons cinnamon
6.     1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
7.     1/2 teaspoon cloves
8.     1/2 teaspoon ginger
9.     1/2 cup raisins (optional)
10.   1/4 cup walnuts / sunnies (optional)
11.   1 1/2 cups cooked, mashed yams
12.   3/4 cup milk
13.   1 egg...beaten

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees & oil muffin pans ( I use 2 mini muffin pans, great for snacks & small hands)

In a medium large bowl, combine ingredients 1 thru 10 and toss with a fork.
Add ll thru 13, and stir until mixed.  Your batter will be thick almost like drop cookie dough.

Fill the cups until all the batter is gone.

Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until the tops bounce back when lightly pressed.  Your house will be filled with the wonderful fragrance of the spices and mouths will be watering!

After they come out of the oven, they'll be easier to release from their pans if you let them sit about 10 to 15 minutes.

Have the butter & milk standing by so the first ones are still warm for discovery!
ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH MY GOD!!! I CAN SMELL THEM WHILE I'M SITTING UP HERE IN MY ART STUDIO!!!  MY MOUTH IS WATERING !!!  GOTTA GO MAKE SOME NOW!!!  



 

4 comments:

  1. Please let me know if you liked them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These muffins look so good! My mouth is watering! Autumn is my favorite time of the year too, next to winter ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic blog post. I did not know that sweet potatoes made a beautiful flower like that.. I haven't grown them before but I think I might next year. The muffins look so good and I am sure they are. I am allergic to wheat but I bet I can make them with rice flour. I love to bake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Debbie...I'm sure the rice flour will work. I can't tolerate soy, so I use different oils in place of shortening when it is called for...sunflower being my favorite!
    I love to eat, so I cook and bake a lot mostly using as much homegrown as I can!
    I'm looking forward to sharing a lot of recipes over the winter when the house is closed up, warm, & full of good aromas!

    ReplyDelete