Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Pet Portrait...Start to Finish Part 1


I thought it would be fun to share what goes on "behind the curtain" when I create a Pet Portrait.  I don't just copy what the camera sees...it's what I see, Thru My Eyes...into their eyes, their hearts, and their Spirits.

It all starts with several photographs of your companion(s).


 
This first photo is of a little dog in California, Tito, that I was asked to paint a portrait of for a Christmas present.   Several photos were emailed and we decided that this one would work best.


This next one is of Aleutia, a beautiful girl that is now waiting for her beloved human on the other side.  This photo seemed perfect and is a favorite.

Aleutia will be who you will be "following" as her Spirit guides me on a most emotional & rewarding journey!

When selecting the right photo, there is also conversation so that I can get to know the Spirit of my model.  Sometimes additional photos of them at play, work, with friends will also help.  Backround doesn't always play a role as it sometimes takes away from my subject.

After the photo is selected, the backround color is chosen.  I am working in dry (not oil) pastels and I use Canon Mi Tientes Pastel Paper which comes in a wide variety of colors.  Sometimes I just know the color I want to use, and sometimes I look at a few different ones.
 
I've been doing some work with using the black of the paper for the black of my model, and mostly using the pastels for the other colors.  What do you think?
Now, just to remind you...the floor, none of the backround will be there to divert your attention off of our beautiful girl.  The color is all that her portrait will be up against.
 
This is the other color paper that I have favored.  The hat that she is wearing ( it was for a photo shoot for a friend with a shop on etsy & seems to show her embarrassment along with her devotion to "whatever Mama wants") and the colors of her eyes and grey seem to go together well for me.  What do you think?

Here they are at the same time...whichever shall I pick?


Some people ask why it takes me so long from start to finish?...because I need to know that my choices are the perfect ones!
Some people ask why my art work costs so much?...because I give part of myself, a lot of emotion, a lot of energy, and that is a great toll to my very being.

This is as far as I've gotten today...Next time the paper will be chosen and the size determined while Aleutia visits me and helps me to the best of my ability to offer up a timeless treasure.

Thanks for visiting...I do get a little emotional...none of this is put on...the animals are the best thing in my life!
Diane

 





1 comment:

  1. I think this is very special, for everything you put into your art Diane! I understand totally with what you are saying! I love the pictures you picked ;o) For me, I think I like the black paper. Big hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete